Thursday, December 11, 2008

Share with me the secrets that you've kept in.

Did I mention that I joined some Trashion competition?

Its a competition organised by the final year students from the Advanced Diploma in Public Relations and Advanced Diploma in Media Studies courses in Tunku Abdul Rahman College for their campaign called "Recycle is a Need and a Deed". More info can be found at their blog.

Contestants for this Trashion competition are supposed to create something new, out of old stuff, somewhat like a recycling campaign but in the form of textiles.

So where do you think I fit into this? Me, being interested in this fashiony stuff, blurly signed up for it and had to miraculously conjure something up in erm, ten days?

Not to mention, sewing the pieces together by hand because I don't have a sewing machine. T.T

Someone should've whacked me on the head right then and say 'Oi, lu Suparman kar, with all the assignments going about lu nak cari pasal and join some fashion competition?'.

Then again, I'm happy being Suparman :D

So the idea was to transform this dress, into something new cause I bought this dress online and didn't like it. First of all, there was lace at the hemline where the picture she posted up didn't show and secondly, the seller neglected to tell me that it was handmade. Super obvious weih that it was handmade. Plus who uses heavy fabric to make a sundress? o.0


See the lace!!! Spoiler kan to a beautiful dress.

Was thinking of doing a large bag which can chuck every single thing into it, and also has that flappiness into it. Or a small bag to carry the essentials. If all things don't work out, worse comes to worse a clutch.

Didn't manage to get materials to support the sides for a clutch so I stuck with doing a bag.

Initial sketches. Pardon the stupid math thing at the side.

At one point when I thought I couldn't finish it up, I wanted to make it into a laptop sleeve. It fits a 14 inch laptop you know. Tried and tested :D Never thought that it would.

So I slaved for almost 12 hours and this is the end result.

End result turned out nothing like my initial sketches. It still has that flappy concept which I wanted but now it is closed by tying a bow :)

There are some things that I don't quite like about my final work but I is still happy with the outcome :D

For example, the stitches, can die dot com. So messy! >.< But all in all, it was a good experience and it has motivated me to get a sewing machine so that I can start on other projects. :D

*pesters mom to get a sewing machine*


Oh and yes, I had to submit a picture of a model with the 'masterpiece' and this was the one. Yes I don't exactly look model-ish but where can I find one two hours prior to submission? o.O

And it's gonna be sitting at the exhibition with my 'masterpiece'. *dies*

The Trashion campaign will be exhibiting masterpieces submitted by contestants on the 16th to 18th December 2008. If any of you reading this is from TARC, do pop by and have a look :) Oh and to vote too. Hehe.

Your vote counts! ;)

Outsiders are welcome to go view too. :)

(Thats if you're willing to travel so far just to see my masterpiece I'll be so kam tung, I'll belanja you makan kangkung. Wtf)

No comments: